Applications are now being accepted for the next cycle of the Steven M. Thompson Loan Repayment Program. Award recipients will receive up to $105,000 to repay educational loans in exchange for a three-year service commitment in a medically underserved area of the state.
The program was created in 2002 through legislation sponsored by the California Medical Association. This year's application cycle begins on December 1, 2016, and continues through February 28, 2017, a month later than usual. According to the Health Professions Education Foundation, the deadline has been extended to allow time for more outreach efforts and to give applicants more time to complete their applications.
To be considered for an award, you must:
- Have a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in California
- Be free of any contractual service obligations (i.e., the National Health Service Corps Federal Loan Repayment Program or other financial incentive programs)
- Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
- Be currently employed or have accepted employment in a federally designated "health professional shortage area" in California
- For application, eligibility and program questions, contact the Health Professions Education Foundation at (800) 773-1669 or email Jimmy.Miranda@oshpd.ca.gov.