Medical staffs continue to face many challenges, including threats to self-governance, increasing regulatory burdens of EMTALA, reductions in reimbursement, and decreasing financial resources. California Medical Association's Organized Medical Staff Section (OMSS) provides advocacy, resources, and information for medical staffs of hospitals, other health facilities and emerging delivery systems.
Is your medical staff an OMSS member? Click here to find out.
Not a current OMSS member? Join or renew today by contacting CMA at (800) 786-4262 or downloading a membership application here.
OMSS membership dues are based on the number of beds for which a hospital is licensed:
$300 (fewer than 100 beds)
$700 (100-300 beds)
$1000 (301-500 beds)
$1,500 (over 500 beds)
Medical staffs that join OMSS receive access to resources and assistance including:
- Access for medical staff leadership to legal and policy experts who can provide advice on a wide range of medical staff issues including:
- Medical staff on-call requirements
- Economic credentialing/exclusive contracts
- Fair hearing requirements and disruptive physicians
- Peer review immunities
- Access to CMA's annotated Model Medical Staff Bylaws (updated annually to include new Joint Commission, state, and federal guidelines).
- Access to the CMA health law library of ON-CALL documents related to medical staff issues.
- Access to discounted bylaws review to help your medical staff develop stronger and more effective bylaws that help physicians protect patient care.
- Quarterly OMSS Advocate newsletter providing updates on current events and issues affecting hospital medical staffs.
- Access to a powerful professional staff who can protect your medical staff from legal, legislative and regulatory intrusions. OMSS membership lets your medical staff focus on what’s really important: your patients. OMSS members can designate a physician representative to serve as a voting member of the CMA-OMSS Annual Assembly and participate in developing CMA medical staff policy and advocacy.
- Free registration for two representatives to attend the OMSS Assembly, CMA’s annual policymaking and educational conference on medical staff issues.
For more information, call CMA’s member help center at (800) 786-4CMA (4262) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.